The Clark legacy can be traced back to 1932 when Emory T. Clark, a general contractor by trade, opened the first Clark’s Super Gas station in Milwaukee after his original customer could not pay his loan. From there, Clark Oil was born, and Emory Clark grew his brand throughout the upper Midwest. By the late 1970s, Clark Oil had established a strong market presence and a reputation for the sale of high-quality gasoline at discount prices. At its peak, Clark Oil operated and supplied 1,500 gas stations in Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Ohio, and Wisconsin.
During the 1980s and 1990s, Clark had several ownership changes, during which the company expanded its retail and refining operations—including the purchase of several refineries. Like many other independent oil companies, the company also faced a series of financial setbacks. But the Clark brand continued to represent local merchants selling quality fuels.
In late 2003, a team of oil industry veterans and other investors acquired the Clark gasoline brand and other key properties originally owned by Clark Oil. They formed Clark Brands, LLC and focused on providing comprehensive branding and payments processing solutions for independents who want an alternative to the major brands. To this day, Clark Brands offers a local focus with a national look.
Contact us today to see why Clark is The Choice of Independents. You can also call 877-GO-CLARK